Friday, June 4, 2010

old tea wagon and wedding album...

Good Morning, it's Friday!! This was a short week but aren't they the longest ones sometimes?! Not only is it Friday but it is Vintage Black Friday over at The French Cupboard (thanks for hosting Jill)! Today I am going to share with you my Mom's old tea wagon. I remember her telling me she got it at an estate sale (when I was very little) and she had my brother Dave refinish it for her. Our house was very "country" growing up. She had a few pieces of black furniture as well as lots of other pieces with dark wood tones. The tea wagon done over fit in perfectly... We had a cottage down the cape a few years ago and I used it for an end table. (Now there's another post for the future ~ and thanks for sharing yesterday ~ glad to know I am not the only one that has blog blockage!) I usually keep this downstairs and bring it up when I have a party or around the holidays to put desserts on. I used to have my old sewing machine table here but it is now in my Paris Hotel Suite. My husband needed a place to put his humidor that he recently bought so the tea wagon has been nesting here in the den. By the way they don't make white humidors and I told him I didn't mind having it out but make it either black or a dark wood tone ~ not that orangey wood. As you can see in the photo he listened well (not)! I am not a tea drinker so I do not have lovely old tea pots or pretty cups and saucers to display like so many of you do. Although I love this old tea wagon I just can't seem to feather it to my liking... I sometimes look at it and want to paint it white (of course)... But I just can't. My Mom wanted to paint it white too but it reminded her of my brother Dave because he refinished it and did a beautiful job... And it reminds me of him too and how she loved the way it turned out. So the tea wagon will stay as is and nest in my den...for now. Since today is the VBF for June I thought I would also share some old photos from my Mom and Dad's wedding. They didn't get married in June (I did) but I thought you might like to take a peek inside their wedding album... Look at all the beautiful lace! Wish I had all these dresses. My Mom looks so beautiful as well as my sweet Nana. The lovely lady on the right is my Auntie Joan, Mom's only sister. She has always been my favorite aunt ~ I remember weekends at her house when I was little and having so much fun. We still have fun when we are together! AJ ~ you are a big part of my heart and I love you! Look how dashing my Grandfather looks... And now the happy couple... I also wish I had their cake topper... Now these next photos are not from my parent's wedding but of my Mom at a wedding... Looking so happy and beautiful...As I mentioned I was a June bride and we will be celebrating 25 years on the 22nd! I have been putting together a little "down memory lane" gift full of pictures and momentos. I don't know about your guy but Jim never gets excited about any gift, ever! So I am just "making" something. Do any of you amazingly crafty clever people have any ideas ~ I would love to hear them! Well, thank you for visiting today! I am also joining Cindy over at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday. Thank you for hosting Cindy and don't forget to visit The French Cupboard too! Have a great weekend!!


20 comments:

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Oh thanks so much for such nice memories. I love love love the wedding photos. They remind me of my parents wedding as well. I feel like I am up and blogging WAY too early this morning. Its a gorgeous day Im off to garden (pull weeds) Have a great weekend ~ Dee

Sandi said...

Love the black and white photos and you are lucky to have them. I treasure the old photos of my parents too!!
That tea cart is amazing and I would be very tempted to paint it white too! lol
Blessings~

Jill said...

Sometimes sentiment wins over style! I like the cart and enjoyed looking at your photos. My oldest daughter just got engaged so I have "wedding" on my mind!

Unknown said...

I think it's great you're leaving the cart as it is. Thanks for sharing the pictures from your parent's wedding album. What a happy couple!

Nancy

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love that tea wagon! I saw one at Salvation Army a few weeks ago for $20 and DID NOT buy it!!
I have been kicking myself since then!!

Debbie

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lovely wedding photos of your parents -- and the tea cart is a great treasure to hold onto. I would definitely not paint it because of the memories. But you could lighten it up with the accessories you use. It's nice to be able to move things around at home and make simple changes that bring a fresh look to your surroundings. Have a fabulous weekend. :) Tammy

Debra@CommonGround said...

Wonderful memories in those photos and the tea cart. I don't blame you for keeping it in the same finish. It's so nice that you have it with you.
xo,
Debra

Anonymous said...

The tea cart is charming. It is so special to have a piece that holds memories. Beautiful post.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Oh i just love looking at old photos, just gorgeous! love the tea cart!
XO

Sandy said...

Very nice tea cart and wedding photos take me back to my moms wedding photos...
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Great wedding pictures, Sandi. Those are to be cherished. Cute tea cart, too. My hubby has a cigar humidor, too. I've (so far) resisted the urge to do a chippy white treatment to it ;) Happy VBF~

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

Loving the photos and I love old tea carts!
Happy VBF!
xojanis

Faded Charm said...

I love that tea cart just the way it is. Beautiful and even more so that it was your Mom's.

Congrat's on your 25th!

Kathleen

Victoria said...

I love your teacart, it's darling and I can understand why you don't want to paint it. The photo's are gorgeous, your mom was a beautiful bride. Wow, 25 years!!! How exciting! I'm useless with gifts for my man, he now makes me buy something for myself on his birthday lol. I think he much prefers food, anything edible.

I was so shocked that I won Paula's giveaway! I chose the gorgeous French Lavender sign and I'm already planning a little Lavender section of my living room:) Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Rose said...

it looks like we all love the tea cart keep it the color it is now. loved the photos, thanks rose have a good weekend

A Shabby Moment in Time said...

Hi Sandi! This is Karen P., your fellow friend at WCS! I LOVE your blog and wanted to let you know that I just created a blog myself. (my first stab at it) I KNOW I'm going to love interacting with everyone out there that adores all things shabby, cottage, & french. Check it out when you have a minute...mines "A Shabby Moment in Time". http://ashabbymomentintime.blogspot.com/ Let me know your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hi Sandi!
I love the wedding photos! Women were so beautiful back then...so graceful...your Mother was certainly beautiful too!
And yes...that topper...wow!
As for the tea cart, I think it's lovely as it is, but you know I love black and dark wood. I love it because it has meaning of the color is it today since your brother restored it. I don't think I could ever put a coat of white paint (or any color) on it. I like it the way it is and it's beautiful in your home :)
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend~

Legacy of Love said...

nice photos. Great cart, I would probably want to paint it white too but my rooms have lots of darker wood so not sure. Great wedding photos, love the lace and congrats on 25 years. We have been married about 23 and what a ride it's been.

Anonymous said...

Why does everyone think painting furniture white is the best route? (I feel sharp glaring looks directed at me.) Different woods have characteristic feels and textures. I can appreciate all colors and shades, am even learning (from bloggers) to like more pink. There are some beautiful pink woods. I think the carts tones bring out the beauty of your floors.
Congratulations of your anniversary. Maybe make a reminder scrapbook, of vacations shared together, of homes you have lived in, of work he has done on a home or garden...something that shows how you have grown over the years.

V I N T A G E O L O G I E said...

The teacart has such a classic look to it ... why change a thing? Plus, you'll never replace the sentimental value of the finish your brother did ... I think your doing the right thing keeping it "as-is" and it is a BEAUTY!

The wedding photos are gorgeous ... straight out of a Hollywood set ; )

xo
Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails