Tuesday, April 21, 2015

my guest room...

I now have a guest room in my home.
My little girl moved out to her first place
and I miss her.
While I am very happy for her and it really was time,
I miss her.

Gone are the bright pink walls and the Audrey Hepburn print from Ikea behind the door that was shut most days to hide the clutter (I don't miss that).  Also gone ~ all the extra accessories I had to choose from to complete my outfit each day!

I got busy on the makeover shortly after "moving day".
It helped to keep busy.
I gave the room a fresh coat of paint from the ceiling to the trim to the walls, using paint I already had.
Jim and Jake ripped up the carpet and, after a good cleaning, the hardwood floors look pretty good!

I found some lovely curtain panels at Marshalls.  I only bought one pair, with plans of using one panel on each window and swagging them...

.

I did not really love the swag look, so I have been hunting high and low in all the Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Homegoods stores near me for another pair.
No luck so far.
Do you have one of those stores near you?

I brought this dresser home from my space at the Wrentham Country Store and repainted it...


Then my friend (and fellow Shop Girl at the WCS) Jeannie stenciled it for me...



I love it, thank you Jeannie!
I topped it with a new lamp and shade from Walmart and one of my favorite treasures, an old french print that was my Mom's.

The room is far from done but I am in no rush.
My camping season starts in 9 days (so excited) and that usually means all projects around the house get put off until the Fall.
Our punch list of installing and painting a new closet door, installing new bamboo shades (to add texture to the room) as well as getting a new bed and all the other furniture for the space can wait.
The season of yard sales, flea markets and thrifting with my girlfriends on the weekends is here.
I am looking forward to hunt for the perfect or perfectly imperfect pieces but am also willing to wait until I find them.
I plan on making over this room on a very low budget and am looking forward to the challenge!

While it is wonderful to have a whole room, a blank canvas to create in, it has been a little bittersweet.
I miss you Jaclyn, but I am so proud of you for all that you have accomplished in this past year, a new job, your first place and a happy heart!
That makes my heart happy ~ I love you!

Thank you for stopping by today!

17 comments:

Susie said...

Hugs to you Sandi, and your girl. I know that feeling , you are happy for them but sad for you then visa versa. Maybe if you can not find another set of curtains...you could add a lace panel to each or just get all neww and use those to make pillow covers. Blessing , xoxo,Susie

Victoria said...

The room looks lovely!!! It's hard watching our little birds fly away from the nest but it means you've done a good job mama:)

Sandi said...

Can't wait to see it all done, but guess I will have to. Lol

We have a new Marshalls store in the area. Email me the info and I can look for you next time I get there if you want me to.
Hugs~

Sandi said...

Can't wait to see it all done, but guess I will have to. Lol

We have a new Marshalls store in the area. Email me the info and I can look for you next time I get there if you want me to.
Hugs~

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Wow Sandi it looks fabulous! From Pink and girly to classy and chic! I'd love being a guest in this room.
xx,
Vera

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

It is soooo hard when they leave home! But your daughter sounds like she is doing amazingly well, and you have enough going on to find some happiness for you too.
Enjoy.
Lin

NanaDiana said...

Oh- That is looking good so far! It is hard to let them go, isn't it..but it gives us a whole new adventure in life to go through. Someday you will be preparing that room for grandbabies to visit! (not today-you understand--SOMEday). xo Diana

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Happy changes but also bittersweet, as I know all too well! <3

Karen said...

Congratulations to your daughter, this is the beginning of a new chapter in life for both of you. The dresser looks great, looking forward to the rest.

Pat said...

Sandi,
Congratulations to your daughter, dear friend!!!
A happy heart. . .a bittersweet start of a room makeover and time to unwind at the campsite. . .sounds as if you're off on a new journey, dear one!!!
I'll miss your post. . .but you'll stay close in my thoughts!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Faye said...

I love what you have done so far. That dresser is beautiful and the hardwood floors look so good with it! It's bittersweet to see them leave the nest but I'm sure she will do just fine.

Unknown said...

bittersweet transformation. sigh. and i have ALL of those stores close by ( and multiples of each) so I will be on the lookout for those curtains for you. do they have a "name?" let me know! happy friday S!

Debbie said...

Oh Sandi....what a sweet post to your daughter.
I LOVE the dresser redone!
How nice that you can get the room done at a leisurely pace. More fun that way, huh?
Have fun at all the sales, and I hope you find the perfect pieces for your room.
Debbie
xo

Unknown said...

"A Cottage Muse" has been included in our A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that we hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-sunday-drive_26.html

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Awwwww...I'm tearing up Sandi. I can imagine how much you're missing sweet Jaclyn (and those accessories!). You've done a beautiful job thus far on this lovely guest room. I can't get over that dresser transformation! Enjoy shopping for more at the flea markets and counting down til camping!

Jaybird said...

Did you find your curtains???
I am going out to Marshall's tomorrow on my lunch, and can look there.
This room is looking great!
Be blessed,
J

Marie (MarieStamps.com) said...

Love this! The black Paris chest is GORGEOUS! I am attempting to copy it for my stamp studio. I found the stencils already. What did you paint the dresser with? I'm hoping you remember two years later!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails